Re: [ITPOLITIK] Høringsvar til Dansk Standard vedr. ISO og OOXML

Martin Schlander wrote:
> Dansk Standard er blandt de ca. 30 nationale standardiseringsorganer der
> skal afgøre hvorvidt OOXML skal ISO-certificeres. De kører høring frem til
> 2/7.

Nyt udkast. Jeg har erstattet "gratis" med "free of charge" og tilføjet et
afsnit om at OOXML anvender for korte intetsigende XML-tags. Derudover er
der kun rettet lidt i sidste afsnit. Jeg regner med at sende svaret afsted
på torsdag.

------------

We believe OOXML should not be ISO-certified at all. There's already an
ISO-standard for document formats. Having two different standards with huge
overlaps goes against the whole idea of standardization. Doing so could
damage the credibility of ISO as well as Dansk Standard assuming they voted
in favour of it.

Of course the feature set of the formats are not completely identical, but
it would be better to expand existing standards than to create new ones
everytime someone needs some feature.

ISO is a very respected and influential organization. Having two
ISO-standards for office documtents, would effectively mean that all
developers of office software, would have to implement both standards to
compete in the market place. This would lead to a big waste of resources,
bad for businesses and more expensive and complex for customers than having
just one standard. It would also be imbalanced and favour large vendors.
Having two different ISO-standards would most likely lead to more
interoperability problems than having only one.

The market share of Microsoft Office is not a viable argument either. At
least two plugins that provide ODF-support exist already and are available
free of charge ? and nothing is stopping Microsoft from implementing native
support for the existing ISO standard in the field.

Besides the above points of why two duplicate standards is a bad idea, there
are a number of reasons why OOXML is a bad format in itself. If an ISO
certification should happen at least these problems should be adressed.
The sheer size of the specification is a problem. This complexity means
it'll be very difficult to implement properly ? perhaps impossible. And
again it will favour large vendors over smaller ones.

The specification has numerous undocumented sections which is well known.
Apparently for reasons of backwards compatibilty. We must insist that these
sections be fully documented.

OOXML specifies it's own standards instead of re-using existing standards,
for example wrt. handling calendaring, dates and mathematical markup.
Leading to unnecessary complexity.

OOXML uses very short XML tags, making it cryptic to read. Generally XML
tags are expected to be descriptive. This makes the format difficult to
implement and maintain.

The only argument for it seems to be the promised backwards compatibility
with existing binary Microsoft document formats, but even this  backwards
compatibility is questionable. And even if it were true, 100% backwards
compatibility couldn't justify having dual standards ? and imposing
Microsofts past design flaws on the future.

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2007-07-01, 02:01 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]